Recently, I have become addicted to Vegan baking. I am not a Vegan and do not adhere to the lifestyle. I do enjoy though the fruits of many people’s labors. I have become addicted to researching Vegan breads or recipes and trying them. I have had success! I have two staple breads that I make every Sunday. One is a Vegan Pumpkin Bread and the other is a a Carrot Banana Bread. I am trying to eliminate fat and unnecessary dairy products from my life. I am finding when I do, I have fewer headaches. (I have chronic migraines , so I tweak my eating based on what is going on with those.)
I love breads and recently had really given them up. I don’t eat a ton of carbs anyway. Now that Fall is here, I am looking for those comfort food without all the calories and the dairy products.
The one success that I will share on my blog today is the Carrot Banana Bread. I adapted this slightly from Forks and Beans website. (http://www.forkandbeans.com/2014/10/28/carrot-banana-bread/)
First let me say, I LOVE Carrot Cake. I mean seriously who doesn’t? Next, I LOVE bananas, but not really banana bread. Crazy right?!
I thought the combo together would be perfect.
Carrot Banana Bread (Adapted from Fork and Beans)
- 2 c. whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 c. coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 medium bananas, mashed well
- 1/2 c. boiling water
- 1/3 c. applesauce (or oil)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 1 c. finely grated carrots (3-4 medium carrots)
- 1/2 c. chopped walnuts (use 1/2 c. more to top the bread, optional)
- 1/3 c. pure maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a mini loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add all of the wet ingredients in (except for the carrots and walnuts) and mix together until just combined. Fold in carrots and walnuts. Coat with remainder walnuts to garnish on top if you desire.
- Pour into the mini loaf pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the top spring back when gently touched.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5-7 minutes until it is not longer too hot to touch. Remove completely and allow to fully cool on a wire rack.
This is amazing. Next time I am going to add raisins to the mixture. This is so good. I did the mini loaf pan in order to make more little loaf. I was able to get 9 little loaf out of one batch. It was amazing 🙂
What are your favorite Vegan recipes that you can share with me?
I’m slapping my wrist, as having been a Chef, I should by now have uploaded some recipes to share and living on a vegan diet at that…fie on me 🙂